Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Firsts for Me, HUGE victories for Cindy

Today I experienced some firsts.  I walked with a young lady through a difficult and low point in her recovery.  Cindy (not her real name) came to our safe house about 5 days ago, having about 25 days clean and sober.  She has lived homeless on the streets, supporting her addictions by selling drugs and being sexually exploited for much of the past 10 years.  She is pregnant, in her first trimester, after giving birth to a second child only 4 months ago.

I was reminded of Psalms 37:23,24 towards the end of this day: If the Lord delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand.
Today I had the privilege of accompanying her to a court hearing concerning the adoption of her second child.  I went into it knowing that this would be a very rough day for her.  I didn’t know if she would bolt and run when she got a chance or not.  To make the situation more difficult, we had to go into the Downtown Vancouver area right in the midst of where she spent most of her years on the streets.  She was nervous about seeing old drug buddies, former “bosses” and places where she used and got loaded.  All these things could be major triggers for her to “cut and run”.  How would I handle that?  Good question – one that I hoped I wouldn’t have to answer.  
Sure enough not long after we had gotten off the one hour ride on the subway train into downtown, she began to see people she knew.  As we were walking the 6 blocks to the court house, she gave me a running commentary.  “I used to smoke crack with that guy”  “There’s a guy that used to be my boss – I still owe him money”  “That is the alley I used to sleep in, in those doorways”  “I know that girl, she is loaded and bad news”   I could go on, but you get the picture?  She was even approached by an acquaintance of hers to go to his apartment right then and smoke some crack.
I was so proud of her for facing these huge giants and walking away from them.  Was she afraid?  Yes   Was she nervous and jittery?  Yes   But did she have the courage to refuse to be dragged down by them, give in to the fear?  YES!!!!  I was able to walk along side her, encourage her to stay focused on our mission.  I was able to help her see that each time she turned away from a potential threat; she was making a successful decision, she was making a healthy choice, the right choice.
On our way back from downtown Vancouver, we had to make a stop at a government tax office to pick up some paperwork of hers.  While we were waiting for this office to open, we sat on a stoop outside so she could have smoke a cigarette.  She saw an empty package of cigarettes where we were going to sit, so she picked it up to toss it aside.  It felt heavy to her so she looked inside.  There was a crack pipe in it, and beside it, a special kind of lighter used with crack pipes.  HUGE trigger right smack in her hands!!!  She immediately gasped and threw it into the bushes, overcome with pretty panicky emotions.  After we processed the situation and she clearly knew she was choosing again to do the right thing, she was able to admit that if I hadn’t been with her, she would have taken it, gotten some crack somewhere and gotten loaded.  EVEN knowing she shouldn’t.  EVEN knowing it would have sent her into major relapse.  PRAISE GOD she wasn’t alone, that she was safe with a person she could trust to walk with her and help her make the right choices.  There will come a time when she won’t be with a support person, and these very things will come up again.  I pray that when that time comes, she will be far enough in her recovery and healthy enough to continue to make those right decisions.  TODAY she had HUGE successes!!!!  TODAY she stayed safe!!!  TODAY she is off the streets, off drugs and NOT being sexually exploited!!!
I was also drawn to Psalm 37:39,40 -  The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord; He is their stronghold in time of trouble.  The Lord helps them and delivers them; The Lord helps them and delivers them; He delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in Him.   AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment