Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thoughts about our first day in Vancouver

We went to the Salvation Army location, met with Aaron W., the director.  Right away the poverty and homelessness was very apparent.  As we walked the three flights of stairs, in a very dirty, tattered building to the army offices, the foul smells reminded me of where I was.  We spent quite a while talking to Aaron W.  Filling him with questions, trying to explain what we were up to.  Then he took us on a long walk thru the area, pointing out other ministries.  As we walked along, we walked by an obvious drug deal.  Aaron W stopped to talk to a battered woman sitting on the ground, who reminded me of our friend from the Tulsa streets, Margaret.  As we took in our surroundings, I asked the Lord to let me see these people as He saw them, knowing that is the only way to get past the uneasiness in my flesh.  Here is the reality of my heart - two things stood out to me that will be the hardest to deal with.  The urine smell everywhere and the dribble of food & who knows what else, down people’s chins or beards.  I pray that I can become oblivious to these two things.
After spending a couple of hours talking about the homelessness, prostitution and other poverty issues in the area, I asked Aaron W what are the beautiful , good things about Vancouver.  He was very positive about all the kind helpful people that truly cared for the less fortunate.  The many groups of people that helped out in many different ways to bring hope and kindness to the destitute.  Aaron and his wife have been doing this for 6 years.  They have four children.  They have such big hearts.
Most of our time will be spent shadow someone with the Salvation Army, going to evening cell meetings, I will be doing “Night Lights” on Weds nights, which is going to the streets to visit with prostituted women.  Thru the “Great Room” I will be helping them clean & re-wrap used hotel soaps to send to third world countries.  It is a way for the women on the streets to make money not prostituting themselves.  It is a part on yet another ministry in the area.  I will be doing this on Thursday beginning next week.
As I was reading Isaiah 55 last night the words echoed what I am sure was on the Lords heart while he walked with us thru the streets
Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters: and you who have no money, come, buy and eat!  Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.  Listen to Me and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.  Give ear and come to Me, hear Me, that your soul may live.
Then the Lord reminded me of his promise to Aaron and I thru Isaiah 55:10,11
                As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your way and             my thoughts than your thoughts.  As the rain and snow come down from heaven and do not return to it without watering the heart, and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is My word that goes out from My mouth: it will not return to Me empty but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
Amen and amen and amen


No comments:

Post a Comment